President Barack Obama on Presidents Day
President’s Day is coming up and that means it is a good time to take a moment and reflect on the many varied presidents this country has had over its short history. They have come from all walks of life and have had very differing views of what America should be. Much of these presidents’ views were based off the time they led their county and their own history. But most of the presidents throughout our history have held a few common beliefs and goals for our country, and its direction as a whole.
The deeper you peer into the American Presidents’ history and the contribution to forging America, the more you learn about its people as a whole.
You can start your search here:
Here are some fun facts about President Barack Obama:
- President Barack Obama is our 44th president, but there actually have only been 43 presidents: Cleveland was elected for two nonconsecutive terms and is counted twice, as our 22nd and 24th president.
- President Barack Obama was born to a father from Kenya and a mother from Kansas. Obama worked his way through college, aided also by student loans and scholarships.
- President Barack Obama attended Occidental College and Columbia University, and went on to attend law school to became the first African American president of the Harvard Law Review. He later taught law at the University of Chicago.
- Obama became President of the United States on November 4, 2008.
- He does not like ice cream as a result of working at an ice cream shop as a teenager.
- He collects Spiderman and Conan the Barbarian comic books.
- He was known as “O’Bomber” at high school for his skill at basketball.
- His name means “one who is blessed” in Swahili.
- His favorite meal is wife Michelle’s shrimp linguini.
- He won a Grammy in 2006 for the audio version of his memoir, Dreams From My Father.
- He has his hair cut once a week by his Chicago barber, Zariff, who charges $21.00.
- His favorite fictional television programs are Mash and The Wire.
- He was given the code name “Renegade” by his Secret Service handlers.
- He was nicknamed “Bar” by his late grandmother.
- His favorite artist is Pablo Picasso.
- His specialty as a cook is chili.